Gunung Datuk, Rembau
Gunung Datuk is a mountain located at Rembau, Negeri Sembilan. This 884m mountain will take you half a day, bringing you through dense forest and giant trees.
The best part of this hike is definitely it’s peak! Catch sight of the stunning views at the top standing on gigantic rocks and admire the interesting rock formation! Furthermore, you should definitely not miss out on the famous “Hang Tuah” footprint on the boulder!
With that being said, Gunung Datuk is a favorite sunrise spot as many hikers would hike when it’s still dark in order to catch the sunset. There’s also an option for camping. Nevertheless, the trail condition can be difficult to attempt in pitch-black condition. We were struggling even when there was light.
Beginners may take 2 to 3 hours to reach the peak while experienced and avid hikers may take fewer time.
What To Expect Along Gunung Datuk Trail
There are a few highlights and things you will spot along the trail. Without further ado, let’s get into it!
1. The Rainbow Staircase At The Trailhead
2. Gunung Datuk Registration Counter
3. Steep Ascend All The Way Up
4. Huge Boulders Near The Peak
5. The Rest Area At The Peak
6. Walk Up The Stairs To The Top Of The Boulders
7. Take Pictures On Top Of The Boulders
8. Compare Your Feet To Hang Tuah's!
9. Take Your Time To Hike Down
Getting To Gunung Datuk
It’s pretty easy to get to Gunung Datuk if you follow Waze or Google Map. It took us nearly 2 hours to get there from Klang on a Monday morning.
The last stretch of road to Gunung Datuk parking lot is very narrow and only one car can go through. Watch out when you go during a weekend as it could get very crowded in the morning.
Gunung Datuk Fees & Registration
Before you start hiking, register yourself at a small counter table to fill in your name, phone number, IC number, the time you go in, as well as pay a RM5 entrance fee.
There’s an option to hire a guide but it really isn’t necessary. Fees for a guide can range from RM60 to RM200.
Things to take note before hiking Gunung Datuk
- Grab a stick at the start of the trail
- Bring at least 2L of water each
- Register at the counter before you hike
- Watch out for red markers on trees and rocks to know whether you’re on the right track.
- Bring pain relief cream/spray/knee guard if you have knee problems.
- Carry mosquito repellent with you
- Sun shirt or raincoat may be needed at the peak depending on the weather.
- Wear sturdy hiking shoes that do not hurt your toes and have a good grip on muddy grounds.
- Don’t rush.
Gunung Datuk was a memorable hike for us indeed. We spotted squirrel, toad, mushrooms, termite nest, giant trees, and so many more during this hike! Going up was surely a challenge as we huffed and puffed all the way due to the strenuous climb up to the peak; whereas going down exerted a lot of pressure on our knees.
Nevertheless, the pain was completely worth it when we reached the peak. Not only that, we were blessed with a cloudy weather which ended up giving us really good lighting for photos and videos! This hike will be extremely busy during the weekends and basically empty on weekdays, so plan your hike well!